How to send different notification messages to different recipients for the same alarm
Method 1: Use multiple tag groups with tag group notifications
The simplest way to send different notification messages through different media is to use tag group notifications. Each tag group can have associated notifications (into alarm, RTN, and acknowledge notifications) and message template.
For example, if you want to get one alarm message delivered to a recipient list via email, and a different version of the alarm message sent to voice notification group use:
- A tag group, "Email notification" for example, configured to notify an email notification group
- Have the "Into alarm" send message set to your HTML notification message template.
- A tag group, named "Voice notification" for example
- Set it to deliver to a voice notification group with an "Into alarm" send message using your voice notification message template.
Then include the relevant TopView row into both tag groups. When an alarm occurs for that row, TopView will notify each group using the specified message template.
Each TopView row can be part of multiple tag groups. If you already have tag groups assigned to a row for other notification patterns or logical groupings, they can be left in place.
Method 2: Notification Templates and Recipient Exclusions
This is the preferred method for sending different messages to email and email-to-SMS addresses (e.g. "[number]@vtext.com")
To get different notification messages for different notification media, use a combination of Notification Message Templates and Recipient Exclusions.
From the documentation, when using a notification message with a recipient exclusion in it:
If a recipient is excluded, they will receive the alarm message as the notification message.
For example, if you want to get one alarm message delivered to a voice notification group, and an HTML email delivered to an email notification group use:
- An alarm message catered to the voice notification group
- A notification message template with the HTML to be delivered in an email
- A recipient exclusion of “<EXCLUDE_RECIP_NO@>” in the body of the notification message template. This will exclude recipients that are not email addresses, meaning recipients with phone numbers will be excluded.
For email and email-to-SMS addresses prefer the "<EXCLUDE_RECIP_ENDS_WITH>" exclusion. For example, to ignore the template for "vtext.com" addresses and just send the alarm message, use:
There are a number of different recipient exclusions that can be used, please see the documentation for available Recipient Exclusions. The documentation also provides more detail about Notification Message Templates.