Restoring a previous, backed-up, configuration file from TopView's Audit Backups folder
TopView backs up configuration changes when configuration files are saved from TopView applications. Many different types of TopView configuration files are backed up, like:
- Configuration & tags changes
- Contacts, Schedules, Groups changes
- Alias and data source configuration changes
These configuration changes are stored in the "<TopView Data Path>\Audit\Backup" folder.
If you want some help in determining what tag & limits changes to go back to, you might want to use the Tags & Limit changes utility.
Using TopView Admin Tools, or the tags & limits screen of the TopView Configurator, you can inspect Tag changes to determine when tag changes may have been made.
To restore a backup file
Find the back up file in the "Audit\Backup" folder, then:
- Copy the file to the CONFIG directory in the TopView Data Path
- If you are restoring a *.cfg file, be sure to also transfer the *.tags and *.meta files, as well. Then repeat the following steps for each of those files.
- Remove the current configuration file from the CONFIG directory
- Rename the back up file to match the previous configuration file name
- Right-click on the file in Windows Explorer, select "Properties", then verify that the "Read-only" attribute is unchecked. TopView marks backup files as read-only to prevent any unintentional changes to audit backup files.
Be sure to uncheck the "Read only" attribute from the backup file before putting into production or else subsequent attempts to modify the configuration file will fail
Backing up TopView
How to backup TopView We suggest that you make periodic backups of the TopView configuration information and logs. You can perform this task while TopView is running. These instructions assume that you have the installation program available. ...
How to: Move the TopView DataPath
During the TopView installation, the user selects a location for the TopView DataPath. The TopView DataPath is a folder (and sub-folders) where the users of TopView have read/write permission. The DataPath stores configuration information, logs, ...
Error 1315 Unable to write to the specified folder (Windows 10 v2004)
Background This Windows Installer error can occur during a TopView upgrade or uninstall on Windows 10 v2004 indicating that the installation cannot write/edit an installation folder used by the current TopView installation. This may occur if the ...
How to locate your TopView license file
Each TopView installation has a license file per data source (OPC, PI, ...) which was delivered with the product. The license file is usually stored locally in a location accessible to all users. During the installation the user stored the file and ...
Move TopView to new computer
Moving TopView to a new machine will require a new license file. Please contact email@example.com with your current license file to begin the process. To view the location of your current license file, run the TopView Configurator and select ...