Install Contacts, Schedules, Groups application on a separate computer
Access to Contacts, Schedules, Notification groups, and other global settings can be provided from a computer separate from the TopView server computer.
The Web Configurator
is a much easier way to allow edits to contacts information from outside the TopView server machine.
Install TopView on the second machine but only allow access to the TVGlobal.exe app (the "TopView Contacts, Schedules, Global Settings" application).
For the license file you can enter the word FREE which will allow you to run TVGlobal.exe.
Then, the relevant configuration files must be shared between the two computers. There are two main methods to do this:
- Syncing the files between the two computers' TopView data paths using sync tools (e.g. Dropbox, OneDrive, etc.). Some syncing tools you can use are:
- SyncBack from 2BrightSparks (non-server OS)
- FreeFileSync (server OS)
- Create a network share for the TopView data path and point and configure the second machine to look at the DataPath of the primary TopView machine through that share.
If you choose to implement the second option, the network share, here are the steps:
- Share the TopView DataPath (default location is "c:\ProgramData\Exele\TopView"), lets assume this is "\\primary\tvdatapath"
- Install TopView
- Edit the file %windir%\topview.ini (default location "c:\windows\topview.ini")
- Change the DataPath= line to DataPath=\\primary\tvdatapath
- When you run TVGlobal.exe on the second machine it should be able to see the contacts, schedules, … from the primary machine
Move TopView to new computer
Moving TopView to a new machine will require a new license file. Please contact email@example.com with your current license file to begin the process. To view the location of your current license file, run the TopView Configurator and select ...
Example scripts to remove/install TopView services using PowerShell
The TopView Service Manager command line application is a utility which provides the ability to list, install, and remove TopView services. This is a particularly useful tool when changing the user account for each TopView service is necessary. The ...
Backing up TopView
How to backup TopView We suggest that you make periodic backups of the TopView configuration information and logs. You can perform this task while TopView is running. These instructions assume that you have the installation program available. ...
When do I need to restart a running TopView Engine?
Configuration settings and Global settings Global and configuration-specific settings, edited in the TopView Configurator application, determine the behavior of a running TopView Engine. By default, the running Engine automatically applies global ...
What versions can I install on 64-bit Windows?
The first version of TopView to support 64-bit Windows was version 6.4. If you are installing TopView on a new machine, we suggest that you upgrade to the latest version. Although versions 6.4 and later will run on 64-bit machines, each release ...