How to apply or update a license in TopView
Updating your license
If you upgrade your TopView license (increase tag count or add Remote Viewers) or purchase TopView, you will be sent a new license file.
In order to use the new license, you do not need to re-install the product. You only need to “point to” the new license file.
Where to store the license file?
The license file needs to be accessible by TopView applications and should not be stored in a user-specific location, like My Documents.
We recommend storing the license file in the TopView DataPath. The default location for the DataPath is C:\ProgramData\Exele\TopView.
To access your DataPath, click:
[Start]…All Programs…Exele TopView...Open DataPath folder
from the TopView Configurator top menu select Tools>Open DataPath folder
Configure TopView to use the new license file
If you are running an evaluation version that has expired, launching the TopView Configurator will prompt you for the location of the new license file.
- Run the TopView Configurator
- Select Tools > TopView License from the top menu
- Select the location of the new license file for your data source (OPC/SCADA, PI, SQL, …) and click [OK] to close the license screen
- TopView 6.34 and earlier:
- Restart any running TopView applications or TopView Engine Services
TopView 6.35 and later:
- Running TopView Engines will automatically apply the new license if the license is valid
- To verify that the license has been applied to running Engines:
- Run TopView Admin Tools
- From the Engines dropdown at the top of the screen, verify that the select Engine is for the same data source (OPC/SCADA, PI, SQL, ...) as the license you just applied
- Select "Overview Summary" from the left menu
- At the top of the Overview Summary screen, verify that the license file name matches the license file you just applied and that the license details are correct
- If the license file was not applied by the running Engine it may not be valid. Any errors related to the license failure will be logged to the application log.
From the left menu select "Application Logs" to view any license error messages.
Any TopView applications or Services running during the license change will need to be restarted
(versions 6.34 and below)
Win10 1909 update disabled Remote Registry Service
We seen some upgrades of Windows 10 to feature update 1909 experiencing issues. The Remote Registry Service was disabled after update. Once the service was re-enabled and started, TopView could see monitored performance counters again - this is a ...
Counting points for TopView license
The TopView license is based on a point count - the number of points monitored by TopView. You can run multiple TopView configurations (The TopView Window, Alarm and Notification Engine) at the same time. The total points in use is the sum of the ...
How to locate your TopView license file
Each TopView installation has a license file per data source (OPC, PI, ...) which was delivered with the product. The license file is usually stored locally in a location accessible to all users. During the installation the user stored the file and ...
Request TopView upgrade
Request an upgrade Upgrades are available to anyone with an active support agreement, or after purchasing an upgraded license. Request an upgrade via our online upgrade request form. You can also email firstname.lastname@example.org requesting an upgrade. Please ...
Windows patches and TopView
Windows patches affect TopView operation. To ensure TopView runs successfully after a Windows patch, we recommend the following during the patching process: Shut down TopView Engine services before Windows patches Apply the Windows patch After the ...