Counting data servers for TopView PI with AF support
The TopView license includes a licensed number of data servers. For TopView PI, a data server is a PI Server.
Starting with TopView PI version 6.26, TopView PI supports accessing both PI tags and AF attributes.
Accessing the same PI Server through both a PI tag and AF attribute (PI tag reference attribute) is counted as 2 data servers. Here are the details:
A license for TopView PI allows the user to monitor PI tags and AF attributes using the PISDK and/or AFSDK.
Running engines display both connected servers as well as servers that count against the license. These can be viewed in the TopView Admin Tools application on the Overview screen.
- Monitored PI tags: each monitored PI tag has an associated PI Server. TopView will count each unique PI Server of the monitored PI tags as one data server.
- Monitored AF Attributes: each monitored AF attribute has an associated AF Server. If the AF attribute is a PI tag data reference, TopView will count each unique AF Server\PI Server of the monitored attributes as one data server.
TopView is monitoring the following PI tags and AF attributes:
Example Data Server count = 3:
- PI tag ‘tag001’ on PI Server “piserver01’
- PI tag ‘tag002’ on PI Server “piserver01’
- PI tag ‘tag003’ on PI Server “piserver02’
- Attribute ‘\\afserver1\database1\element\att1’ with no data reference
- Attribute ‘\\afserver1\database1\element\att2’ with data reference to PI tag ‘tag004’ on ‘piserver01’
- Attribute ‘\\afserver1\database1\element\att3’ with data reference to PI tag ‘tag005’ on ‘piserver01’
- piserver01: accessed by PI tags (tag001, tag002)
- piserver02: accessed by PI tags (tag003)
- afserver1\piserver01: accessed by AF attributes with PI tag data references (att2, att3)
Counting points for TopView license
The TopView license is based on a point count - the number of points monitored by TopView. You can run multiple TopView configurations (The TopView Window, Alarm and Notification Engine) at the same time. The total points in use is the sum of the ...
Backing up TopView
How to backup TopView We suggest that you make periodic backups of the TopView configuration information and logs. You can perform this task while TopView is running. These instructions assume that you have the installation program available. ...
Data path folders: what are they?
The data path of TopView holds configuration and usage information, mainly. Here’s an individual explanation for each of the folders: API_Configuration: Contains examples and documentation for the Configuration API Audit: Stores configuration file ...
Ports used during TopView operation
TopView can utilize a number of ports to perform its job, configure your firewall to allow communication over the following ports: Data source related ports OPC requires the use of DCOM, which is negotiated over port 135 TCP. The client and server ...
Use Gmail for TopView email notification
The following information provides details on using Gmail with TopView for both outgoing email (Notification) and incoming email (Alarm Acknowledge and information requests). TopView supports SSL/TLS for both outgoing and incoming email (for TopView ...